Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mother's Day: Something To Ponder

*giggle* I absolutely love the word "ponder". I plan to use it at least several more times today. So moving forward, a question popped into my head as I sit here watching Good Morning America talk about Mother's Day. Is every mother worth celebrating? Yes, I just went there. Seriously, we all know there are horrible mothers in the world. Mothers who beat their children, neglect their children, use their children for their own personal gain, etc etc. Does this person need to be celebrated? Sure, we all like to pretend mothers are just the cream of the crop. And, yes there are some truly AMAZING women out there. BUT, I am not talking about these mothers. I am asking why should we celebrate these women who don't deserve it.

Now, keep this is mind. I grew up in a horrible situation so my feelings are biased. I remember every Mother's Day as a day I dreaded. I actually hated the two weeks leading up to it and two days following it in which everyone asked "What did you get your mom?". And heaven forbid if you said nothing. Because then you were the world's worst child who didn't appreciate your mother. Or you hear "you've only got one mother." To which I always secretly thought "good, I can't wait until its over.". Harsh, I know. But if you knew my history, you'd understand. But what I hated the most leading up to it was in school (before they started this teaching to the test bull) all activities were themed around women who were known as wonderful mothers. And, then we had to make cards and crafts to celebrate our mom. There were so many times I wanted to say "I don't want to make her something, she doesn't deserve it." And then Mother's Day would come and I'd have to give her the card/craft. I'd have to sit there and tell her how great of a mother she is and basically bullshit my way through the rest of the day. I'd go to church and listen to people tell me how lucky I am to have her and yadda yadda.

Now why am I saying all this? Especially when pretty much all of my fans are mothers themselves? Well, because I want you all to take time and ponder (there's that word again) the flip side of reality for all those children like me who are growing up in bad situations. On Mother's Day as you stop to think about your own children, think about those children out there who have to fake the funk to make it through the day. Those children need to be uplifted in prayer and thought. And if you know a child who does have to make it through the day, hug them. Hug them as tight as you can to let them know that someone IS thinking about them.

2 comments:

  1. Preach, sista! I, too, had a rough relationship with my mother when I was younger. Respect and honor needs to be earned, it should never be considered a given, especially when it's undeserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. It is good to see someone else who didn't want to celebrate their mother when they were growing up.

    ReplyDelete