Sunday, August 16, 2015

Book Review: The Ruby Iyer Diaries

So this weekend I spent sometime, a couple of hours or so, reading The Ruby Iyer Diaries by Laxmi Hariharan. This novelette is a prequel to The Many Lives of Ruby Iyer, the first book in the young adult dystopian series. Basically, it's a companion piece to the series. Admittedly, it's not my preferred genre though I do tend to read a lot of young adult books. I have two tween boys who are into dystopian young adult novels and being able to read alongside them makes for interesting dinner conversations.

In any case, it was a quick read and I finished within 2 hours or so. I had to stop a couple times because I found myself yelling at the author. Yes, the author. The novelette is based on a diary entries written by Ruby between the ages of ten and sixteen. Ruby is our protagonist who lives in Bombay with her parents, younger brother, and her nanny whose husband is also Ruby's family's driver. The stories are set up to give the reader more insight into Ruby's background to what I can only assume explains her behavior is the later books. I can only assume as I have yet to read The Many Lives. Which I will do because the author sucked me into enough of Ruby's history that I absolutely have to know what happens in her future.

So why was I yelling at the author? I hated the "diary" entries. They weren't diary entries at all. Instead, the entries read as if Ruby was maybe in therapy or talking with a confidant and retelling her childhood. I'm not sure if the author's editor missed this inconsistency OR if it was on purpose for a later novelette where Ruby jumps out and yells "SURPRISE!!!" This one thing just irritated me so much. Ten year old Ruby had very obvious adult feelings and Oprah certified ah-ha moments that were way too much for a ten year old to have. Let alone most adults unless under the care of a licensed counselor. But, let me stop as I don't want to give away spoilers.

That said, the novelette is a very fast paced read that will suck the reader into caring about what happens to this young woman. Jealousy, suspense, "I hate the world today/no one loves me", and a little action are all wrapped up carefully between the pages of this story. You know, all the usual stuff that goes hand in hand with being a teenager. I enjoyed reading it and will continue along with the series despite being a little annoyed with how the author told this story. Not two snaps up worthy, but definitely 3 out of 4 stars worthy.


1 comment: