Monday, March 10, 2014

Hypoglycemia...It's A Different World Than Where I Come From

So today, I spent the day on the sofa with Dwayne Wayne and Whitley Gilbert. This morning I was hit with a very nasty case of hypoglycemia. I had to fast for more blood work, ironically to determine where I am with my fight against pre-diabetes and the Vitamin D deficiency. After having my blood drawn, I went onto work and stopped in at the cafeteria and got a simple breakfast of some yogurt, eggs, and turkey bacon. I know you're thinking, what the hell Makita turkey bacon?! Yes, unfortunately the bacon at work is borderline disgusting so I generally go with turkey bacon because it's edible and actually tastes like food. Anyway, I didn't really think the whole fasting thing through. I had a super intensive Sunday with 3 hours of dance preceded by an hour walk. So I should have at the very least feasted like a damn king. But, I was so worried about my blood results that I had a light dinner, took my medicine for moderating my blood sugar, and called it a night. Big mistake. I woke up around 2am with a stomach ache but I didn't pay it much mind. I tend to not sleep well when my kids are with their dad anyway, so I chalked it up to anxiety and missing them and went back to sleep. Actually, I watched an episode of Modern Family and then went back to sleep.

So this morning at work, after all was said and done, I started feeling light headed and couldn't focus. My lovely coworker went and grabbed me some orange juice, but it didn't help. The next thing I know, I was sitting under my desk with my head between my legs trying not to hyperventilate. Yep, that freaked everybody out. So I went home. Actually, I was driven home by one of my people who freaked out the entire time and decided to take me to the Minute Clinic. $10 and 30 minutes later, I was told I was hypoglycemic and my iron was very low. Not surprised on the iron. I've always been very anemic thanks to my bitch of a uterus. But that's another story for another day. So armed with more orange juice and a plan to eat a bloody steak, I went home. Ate a delicious roast beef sandwich and promptly conked out. My sleep was terrible though. Apparently, low blood sugar also means whales will sprout legs and chase you through a land that is different shades of purple and the grass will also try to eat you. Crazy. Eventually, I woke up sweat drenched to the sound of my alarm blaring. So thankful I set the damn thing.

I spent the rest of the day munching on brisket and green beans brought over by coworkers and watching A Different World which is now on Hulu. Yes, lawd!!! I love that show. It's the reason why I chose to go to a HBCU instead of a regular college. Anyway, I'm tired so I'm going to wrap this up with I'm definitely feeling better emotionally since the last blog post. Got myself a handy dandy special friend to help me with that. And, I'm on my way to feeling better physically after today's episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment