Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Cameron Speaks!

This has been on my mind a lot lately and I've been meaning to blog it, but I've had so much on my lately that it's been getting pushed to the side. In Feb of 2006, Cameron had his first day of school at barely 3 years old. His teacher, Mrs. Jenny took him by the hand, lifted it to wave goodbye to me, and walked him into class. I cried my heart out when I got back to my car. You see, this wasn't his first day at a preschool or daycare or Mother's Day Out program. No, he was actually going into an elementary school. Not because he was a super smart 3 year old or a Doogie Houser type. No, he was going because after months of feelings like something was off with my son, I had him tested. I went for months with people telling me I was just jealous that he only said "da da" or that I shouldn't rush him to speak. No, in my heart I knew something was wrong with my son.

I'd always been worried about Cameron. Since the moment I knew he was in my womb, I've loved him. And I vowed to always protect him no matter what. When he was born early at 32 weeks, only 2lbs 12 oz, I knew he might have a difficult life. And, I accepted it. Thankfully, he wasn't born with any illnesses (except jaundice) or anything major. But, apart of me still worried because I just felt something would come along.

So when Cameron had his first birthday and then second birthday without really talking, I became worried. Friends and family told me not to compare him to other children, which I already wasn't doing. Some even teased me saying I was jealous because he wasn't saying "mama". Which was just bullshit. And, actually pretty shitty to say to a mother. But when Cameron finally did start speaking, his words didn't sound like words. I don't know how to really explain it because it's one of those things you have to hear to understand. His words sounded worse than garbled. You just couldn't understand him. I can't even begin to tell you how much it hurt being unable to figure out what was wrong with him when he screamed because I didn't understand him. How angry it made me when strangers gave me looks when they heard him speak. Remind me to tell you the story of the bitch I threw lettuce at in the grocery store for making him cry. I can't even tell you how many times I had to repeat to people "there is NOTHING wrong with my son". I have simply come to learn that people are very insensitive to those who don't fit the mode of normal.

It has been a battle these last five years with Cameron essentially learning how to form words and express himself. Although I've known it for awhile, Cameron has won the battle. But this Friday, we could be making it official at his last IEP/ARD meeting. When Cameron went into the Early Childhood Special Education program in Virginia, he was 3 years old. But his development cognitive skills was of a 22 month old and his speech skills were below normal. At the time, he could only say 4-5 understandable words. Now, he's 8 years old and has an unlimited vocabulary. He is one of the smartest kids in his class and the 2nd best speller in his class. He has truly come a long way.

Now I take Cameron to school everyday. And, instead of having to settle for a wave goodbye initiated by his teacher; I get a very nice and very loud "GOODBYE MOM!!!!"

My Cameron speaks!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful and inspirational post. Congratulations Cameron! Way to find your voice! I bet he grows to become a poet laureate. Did you know Maya Angelou went years without speaking? Big props to you momma for following your instinct and doing what was best for your child. And I can just picture a flying lettuce at a dumb ignorant woman! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you decided to listen to your gut. And you've got to share the lettuce story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious story!
    Natitwists

    ReplyDelete