Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Run. Read. Repeat. Series #1 - Running and Reading in New England



So over the weekend, I came up with this idea to combine my love of reading with my growing love of running and do a blog series on it. But, not just a series on hey, I love to read and run so here's what I'm reading. No, this will be more of a travel series about places I run in different states/areas and all the cool little libraries I come across and a little bit about things I'm currently reading. A few months ago, I decided I was going to nerd out and do the nerdiest thing ever--compile a list of libraries in the United States I want to visit and then go visit them. I came up with this idea before I started running. I know that sounds nerdy to a lot of people, but to me that's what I believe Heaven to be like. A non ending visit to as many bookstores and libraries as possible. Goodness, just giving about all the places I will go (shout out to Dr. Seuss on that one) is giving me goosebumps.

Anyway, now that I'm a runner. Wait, a minute. I'M a runner? I'm A runner? I'm a RUNNER? ... I'M A RUNNER! Yeah, I'm a runner. How bout that? Anyway, now that I'm a runner I've decided to combine the two. More specifically, I want to be a half marathoner. The kind who travels to different cities to run half marathons who just happens to also visit libraries. Isn't that just the bees knees! No? Just me? That's fine. I know y'all will love it.

So since I decided to start this, I decided to back up to last month and have New England be my first post in the series. So without further ado, Running and Reading in New England...

Last month, I went on a retreat with thirteen other women to Charlemont, MA where we visited Shelburne Falls, MA along with Vermont and New York (the last two very briefly). This was a chance to connect with other women walking their own paths in life that crossed mine. More importantly, it was a chance to reconnect with myself. And, I did. I can't even begin to describe how absolutely beautiful and breathtaking it was there.
Gorgeous, right?! I know! And, I had the most pleasure of being able to run through this beautiful. This is what I envision when someone says "God's country." The beauty of it was overwhelming. The weather--at least the first two days-- was incredibly crisp and invigorating. Afterward, it became a little muggy and kind of felt like I was at home, except surrounded by the most beautiful trees ever. Which made me have an "A-ha moment" as Mama Oprah likes to call them. Being surrounded by such beauty, reminded me that we all have a season. Like the leaves on the trees we change, we fall down, and we grow back. More importantly, we have good strong roots to help ground us and weather any storm. I felt alive when running there. 

The second

I wish I had gotten a chance to run more. I did two runs. One was incredibly great and just made me feel alive, but it was COLD! I started my run as the sun began rising and it was incredible. I regret not having my phone with me to take pictures. But, it wasn't about stopping and taking photos. It was about reconnecting with myself and getting a chance to "run it out." I mentioned before I was depressed before the retreat. Truth be told, I'm still dealing with it, but I feel like it's not so heavy anymore. That run gave me that. My run gave me clarity and with each mile I ran, my life path seemed clearer to me again. 


One thing I really wished we had had time for was to go inside this library we stumbled upon. I don't regret it though because I know I'll be back. Plus, we went to so many indie bookstores that it would be silly of me to be upset over that one little library. I did get a picture though and pretend to put
something in the book return box.


 On day 1,  the first thing I noticed as we were going into town to have lunch was Raven Used Books. It smelled like old books, coffee, and dust. Exactly, what I believe Heaven to smell like. It was very difficult for me not to be the weirdo breathing deeply as if I were hyperventilating in an effort to smell all the books. But, I controlled myself and only managed to by one book for my middle son who loves books as much as his mom.

While I was there I finished this really great memoir titled Son of A Gun by Justin St. Germain. I won't go into detail to avoid giving it away, but it's well written story by the son of a woman who was killed. It's poignant, thought provoking, and definitely a good read. I also read a few chapters of Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin and the November issue of O Magazine. What can I say? I'm a girl who likes to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment